Lesson 4 - Jesus is Coming Back
Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
(I Thessalonians 4:13-14)
How wonderful it would be when Jesus will come in the clouds with the angels and we hear a loud trumpet. We will meet him in the air. Oh how glorious that day would be. He will take us to heaven and live with him for eternity. (I Thessalonians 4:13-14).
How beautiful heaven must be! There will be no pain, no sorrow. God will wipe away our tears and we will live with Him forever and ever. (Revelation 21:4)
As we were redeemed with purified spirits and glorified bodies we shall dwell forever with the Lord on the new heavens and new earth.
Before Jesus ascended to heaven he made promises to his disciples that he is coming back. The scripture below describe his second coming:
○ Jesus will come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and will reward each person according to what they have done (Matthew 16:27).
All of the New Testament writers spoke about the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
○ Let us keep watch. We do not know the day or the hour. (Matthew 25:13)
○ If we are ashamed of him in this adulterous generation, Jesus will be ashamed of us when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels. (Mark 8:38)
○ We will see Jesus coming in a cloud with power and great glory. (Luke 21:27)
○ Jesus has prepared a place for us so that when he comes back we will go with him to heaven. (John 14:3)
○ We will not precede those who have fallen asleep before us. When Jesus comes again, the dead in Christ will rise first and we will meet Jesus in the air. (I Thessalonians 4:16)
○ Be patient and stand firm because the Lord’s coming is near. (James 5:8)
○ And when Jesus appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. (I Peter 5:4)
○ The Lord is coming with thousand upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone and to convict the ungodly. (Jude 14-15)
○ The righteous will welcome the second coming of Christ.
- Christians are longing for and waiting for the coming of Christ with great anticipation. ( 2 Timothy 4:8; Hebrews 9:28; 2 Peter 3:11)
- We wait for our blessed hope - our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. (Titus 2:13)
○ The day of the Lord will be a day of calamity for the wicked.
- The fear of judgment has been the greatest cause of dreadfulness in a person’s heart. God has shown his presence in all things he created and yet man refused to honor him. Jesus came to show us his kingdom but many did not seek him. Therefore, his coming will be a calamity for the wicked
- He will punish those who do not know God and those who do not obey the Gospel. (I Thessalonians 1:8)
Jesus did not lay the tim of his coming but he He said did warn us to be ready when he comes.
"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come." (Matthew 24:42)