Lesson 1 - The Holy Spirit
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
(2 Timothy 1:7)
When you obeyed the Gospel you also received the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38). The Holy Spirit plays a very important role in the life of a Christian. The Holy Spirit helps us in our walk with God in the following ways:
○ He strengthens us (Eph 3:16)
○ He transform us into the nature of Christ (II Cor 3:18)
○ He bears fruit for us (Gal 5:22-23)
○ He gives us assurance that we are sons of God and heir of eternal life (1 Jn 4:13)
○ He makes intercessions for us (Rom 5:5)
○ He is also our Comforter as Jesus
Besides the above, there are many things that the Holy Spirit does for us but you will read more of them as you begin to
read your Bible daily.
○ He does not reveal additional truth to us. He has already revealed the truth in the Bible through the prophets and the Apostles.
○ He does not empower us to work miracles. The power was given to the Apostles. They worked miracles and empowered others to work miracles by the laying of their hands. But those who received the power from the Apostles could not pass on the power to others. Only the Apostles did. Because the Apostles since then have died, nobody can pass on the power to do miracles
- The purpose of miracles has been achieved. Many of these miracles were written in the Bible. Apostle John wrote that there are many miracles performed by Jesus that are not written in the book but these are written so that we may believe that Jesus is the Son of God. (John 20:30-31).
- There are many things that God provides and we use the word “miracles” in a sense that these are the works of God in our lives. However these “miracles” are not works of wonder. These are God’s providence in response to our prayers and supplications as He has promised.